of an Epidural
• It provides complete pain relief without dulling
your mental faculties.
• Should you need forceps, vacuum extraction or
episiotomy, no other local anesthetic will be necessary.
• If you have a C-section it allows you to participate
in your birth; baby requires less resuscitation than
with a general anesthetic.
• As it lowers BP it is ideal for women with preeclampsia
or high BP.
• Extra anesthetic can be topped up or allowed
to wear off so you can control the actual birth.
• It reduces the workload of the lungs so women
with heart or lung problems benefit.
• Since muscular activity is reduced diabetic
women benefit as the insulin and glucose requirements
are easier to balance