..where little means a lot

Are You A New Mom?
Get free samples of Baby formula, Diaper
Baby Magazines, and Coupons.

By Planning Family
Your ten month old baby - some common concerns which may be of interest to you.
  Why are some children fussier than others? My ten month old baby is proving to be such a fussy eater at this age and I am worried.
  Is my 10 month old baby ready for cow's milk?
  Please explain the importance of prebiotics and probiotics in my baby's diet. Should I be incorporating that into my ten month old baby's meals?
  I see a lot of books and even doctors seem to talk about percentile charts. What are these charts?
  How much sleep do babies generally need? I am curious to know if my ten month old baby is sleeping enough.
  When my ten month old baby has fever, how do I take her temperature and please advise me on the do's and don'ts when a child is has a temperature.
  While it is good to allow older babies to feed themselves, I am at my wits end when I see the mess my ten month old baby creates. Please, is there anything I can do to prevent messiness?
  My ten month old daughter has just started taking her first steps. Should she start wearing shoes, what kind of shoes should I be looking for?
  We are vegetarians. What kind of food is suitable for my baby?
  Is this a good time to introduce fish to my baby? She just turned 10 months old.

I see a lot of books and even doctors seem to talk about percentile charts. What are these charts?

Percentile charts record a baby's weight and height from birth and help in understanding a baby's growth and a range of measurements that are considered normal. Health professionals use them to evaluate your baby's growth. Along with length and weight, your baby's head circumference is also plotted on percentile or centile charts. These charts are graphs which have printed 'centile curves' derived from measuring large numbers of babies and children of a certain population. If your baby is on the 25th percentile curve this means that 75% of all babies weighed are heavier and taller and the remaining 25% are lighter than your baby; if your baby is on the 97% percentile, 3% of other babies her age are taller and heavier than her while 97% are smaller.

Sometimes this concept is hard to grasp and understanding it visually may help. Suppose your baby is in a room full of babies her age. If she is on the 5th percentile, most of the other babies in the room will be bigger than her but if she is on the 95th percentile she would probably be one of the biggest babies in the room. But let's not forget a baby's growth is largely dependent on family genes. Hence it doesn't matter which percentile your baby is on as long as your baby's growth is consistent with the weight and length in good balance. Baby's heads are measured also because the rapid growth in the first year helps paediatricians keep tabs on your baby's growth rate.


Join Our Community
Forum Now..!

Start Posting Today!
Dear parents,
Welcome Baby Home has come up with a community forum, and this endeavor will not take off without your much needed help.
We need your posts to help other parents with issues on conceiving, pregnancy, and how to manage once they bring the Baby home.
May God bless us all!
 Get started: Sign up for an account
More on Parenting Faqs
Share this
Disclaimer: Information contained on this Web site is intended solely to make available general summarized information to the public. It should not be substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to consult with your pediatrician and/or health care provider before acting on any advice on this web site. While OEM endeavors to provide up-to-date and accurate information, it is not liable for any advice whatsoever rendered nor is it liable for the completeness or timeliness of any information on this site.
Home | About Us | Preconception | Pregnancy | Parenting |

Free Newsletters
| Contact Us | Feedback | Sitemap
All Rights Reserved. © 2022 Welcome Baby Home | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Just had a baby? Click Here