Nose problems are common particularly in the colder
months of the year. They can be uncomfortable but
fortunately don't last long nor do they present serious
repercussions. The membranes inside your nose may
either dry out, bleed easily or become swollen. As
a result you may experience Nosebleeds & Nasal Congestion
quite frequently during pregnancy.
causes Nosebleeds & Nasal Congestion During Pregnancy.
• The membrane lining the nasal cavity may
• This lining has a tendency to swell up because
of the increased blood flow during pregnancy
• Circulation changes caused by changes in
hormones during pregnancy can cause the nasal membranes
to act up
you can do..
Things you should avoid..
• Try drinking lots of fluids to keep the
• For nose bleeds, lubricate the nasal membranes
with a saltwater solution that comes in spray form
available at most pharmacies
• Apply petroleum jelly in the nights at the
edge of your nostrils which will function as a lubricant
• If the room air is very dry, consider using
• Use a soft towel if you find tissues irritating.
Keep one handy all the time
• In case of bleeding, sit still and pinch
your nostrils until the bleeding stops. If bleeding
persists, blow out the clots gently and hold the
nostrils for another 5 minutes
• Avoid OTC (over the counter) decongestants
or any other medications that is suppose to relieve
stuffiness. Many of these medicines contain combinations
of drugs that should not be taken during pregnancy.
Consult your doctor for any medications if the above
remedies don't work
• Avoid blowing your nose forcefully.
This condition is quite bothersome where the pregnant
woman feels as if she is having a cold all the time.
Stuffed nose tends to interfere with her breathing.
There are medications which may provide relief but
should be used sparingly. It is best to avoid them
altogether, if you can endure the inconvenience. Saltwater
drops are the preferred choice. Alternatively steam
from a large pot of water provides some temporary
relief. Hold a towel over your head and inhale the
vapor that is coming from the pot a few times. Allergic
rhinitis like most discomforts goes away after the
baby is born.